Written by IEEE | February 4, 2016 | Updated: December 15, 2020
What better way to celebrate Facebook’s 12th birthday than with a list of 12 Facebook facts you’re sure to “like.”
- How many people use Facebook? Your friend list may include your grandma, dog sitter and old friends from elementary school but the entire Facebook community encompasses a whopping 1.591 billion monthly active users.
- The average age of Facebook users is 25 to 34 — this demographic bracket makes up 29.7% of the platform’s users.
- Five new profiles are created every second. Like the universe, Facebook is constantly expanding — allowing people to continue discovering the joy of sharing their favorite photos and liking exciting brands.
- The experience on Facebook is growing more and more visual. Users agree, with photo uploads totaling about 300 million per day. That’s a lot of smiles!
- Teenage angst may be on the decline, as 70% of teens are reportedly friends with their parents on Facebook.
- Companies seem to realize that workers love to browse Facebook multiple times during the workday, and as such, they are blocking access. 19.4% of Americans say they can’t log onto Facebook at work.
- The country with the most active users is Canada.
- Facebook really does make us more social. On average, users make 7 new friends a month.
- Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook.
- Mark Zuckerberg places a big focus on user experience (UX). He made the site blue because he’s red-green colorblind. He wanted to be able to see his website as users see it.
- The like button was originally going to be called awesome.
- It’s a small world! The degrees of separation between a pair of Facebook users has decreased from 3.74 degrees to 3.57 degrees. Friendships really make the world go round.